If you haven't heard (though I doubt that) a new Pope was chosen yesterday, to take over as leader of the church, after Pope Benedict the XVI resigned from the papacy.
The last time a conclave happened, I was too young and didn't really understand, so this was really my first time and it was truly an honor to witness history in the making! When I found out that we had a pope, I rushed over to my mom's computer and we watched. My little brother wasn't very interested, and only shouted for joy when he found out that Minecraft came out with a new update. (Ok, I admit, I was excited about that too, but I was way more ecstatic about the new Pope.)
Anyways, I really couldn't believe how quickly the conclave ended, I figured that it would go on for a week or so. I wish I had more time to pray, but I guess the Holy Spirit didn't want to keep us waiting? ;)
I was so excited and nervous, and I kept my eyes glued on the balcony.
When the cardinal announced his Holiness, I think everyone was openly and visibly surprised. Some maybe even a little disappointed. Who was this man? He was not one of the more popular choices, in fact, I think very little people knew much about him at all. (The Holy Spirit must have thought that the other cardinals were too mainstream. Hipster! ;D) I was thinking that one of the more popular cardinals would be chosen, but a little bit of me hoped that it wouldn't be so. There is a rare humbleness about someone like that. It reminds me a bit about the humility of Pope St. Pius X (And no, I am not part of SSPX) And humility is exactly what Pope Francis has!
I have to admit, when I first saw his face, I was a bit unsure. But then I saw him smile and wave, and then I was sure. I can't really explain it, there is just something about him. Maybe it's because God found him worthy to lead us, so I too must have faith in God's choice!
And for the rest of the day, I can happily say that I was literally dancing and bouncing with joy! I just couldn't get over my sudden immense joy, and it lasted for the rest of the day and into the morning! In fact, as I type this I'm STILL excited!
On the way to our store, my little brother and I rolled down the window and yelled "Viva Il Papa Francis!"
It must have been so overwhelming for him to look down at just a small, small, portion, of the people he is supposed to lead. Please say a prayer for him so that he might lead us in closer union with The Lord!
Sadly, when I went to youth group that evening, none of the kids seemed to share my joy, the adults were quite excited (on of them calling his holiness Papa Frankie, and I can't seem to get that name out of my head when I think of the pope...) It just seemed to be another day for the teenagers. Nobody really had any interest in it. I wish more kids my age would see the excitement and joy that the faith holds, and be at least a little more enthusiastic!
Now, I have a bit of a routine that I've been doing for about a year now. What I do is take a small journal, and every week directly after mass, I jot down "One way I can be a better person this week". And I try and figure out I need to work on, by paying attention to the mass, especially the Gospel and homily. This past week, I felt like I needed to work on my humility. Its funny, because the same week a pope was chosen who exercises great humility. I guess that's all for today, it's getting late!
P.S Dance with joy for habemus Papam! The Lord is good!
~ Viva il Papa Francisco!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment